Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I call it exposure

I am the youngest of 12 children.  Yes! 12! We were all born in Tarlac and we grew up there.  6 of my siblings now live there, one died in 1997 (He was struck by lightning).  One is a teacher in China.  4 of us are stays in Manila.  I was born when our eldest was 27 years old, he has his own family by then.  My late father was a great farmer and my mother assisted him while taking care of us.  They did their best so we could attend to good schools, especially the last 6.  Since my parents are farmers and we grew up in the barrios, we were able to grow with farm animals, different crops and trees. We can name plants and trees in no time.  Our rich classmates can see all green around them while we can name each plant from afar. That is an advantage, whether they like it or not.  We have rice, eggplants, tomatoes, bitter gourd, tobacco, and more.  Just roam around the house and you'll have something to cook for breakfast, lunch and dinner.   We all know how to plant these.  Aside from the plants, we also have chicken, ducks and pigs.  The happier part is harvest time.  We get the a portion of the sales when we help in harvesting and eventually selling in the market.  A person will just know at our door (no gates in the provinces) and buys the vegetables they want.  1 peso is enough to buy a kilo of eggplants.  We also have guavas around the house.  The sales support our daily school allowance and tuition fees.  This is how I started to be an entrepreneur.  I love earning through sales.  Unfortunately, my mother did not want us selling. I won't forget when I tried selling bookmarks to my classmates (I love practical arts).  My classmates also pay me to design their projects.  When she learned about it, she was so angry that I did not want her to know that I am selling anything anymore.  She thinks selling is just a waste of time and would hamper our way to looking for a good job in the future.  No one gets rich being an employee.  Being an employee for 15 years can attest to that.
Back in college, I sold Avon products.  The sales added to my allowance.  Thank you to my college friend who maybe now is a successful businesswoman.
Now I have four kids.  I want them to become entrepreneurs of the future.  It's music to my ears when I hear my eldest son saying, "let's sell."  I encourage them to sell or have their own business someday.  I expose them to my selling activities so they would know.  We had another week long vacation in Tarlac, I was so happy when my sons asks permission from me that they would go to the farm with their cousins.  One morning when I woke up, my eldest excitedly said that he is going to sell string beans with his uncle in the barrio on a tricycle.  Funny thing was, when he cannot sell, he says, "Why aren't the people buying? Don't they have the money?"
He has his own ideas on selling.  When I told him that we are going to buy some "balut", he told me "Yes, and let's sell them to our neighbors!"  I know someday my son will become a good businessman, because at an early age he comes up with his own ideas on selling.
I expose them to the world where I've been through.  I also let them explore.  If it was something unknown to me, as long as it is safe, it's fine.  Of course, the dad knows as well.  During their stay in Tarlac, they wanted to go to the farm, I allowed them.  They took a ride on the "kuliglig", (it is a vehicle used to transport goods and people in the farm).  They love it.  They even rode with a pig on it.  They love it.   It was them who offers the idea of going to the farm, feed the pigs, chicken and other farming activities.  In the city, all we have is a pot of soil.  Some would not like the idea, but I call it exposure.
Have a wonderful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment