Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2011

BREASTFEEDING 101

Motherhood is the best thing that ever happened to me.  I have four kids.  2 boys and 2 girls (twins).  The eldest (Uel) is turning 6 in July, the second (Halo) is turning 3 in May, and the twins (Twinkle and Star) are turning one year old in June.  Yes, it is May, June and July.  My husband's birthday is July and I was born in August.
I can proudly say that I was able to breastfeed these 4 little ones while working.  How did I do it? I told myself "I CAN"!  Some thought I can't but I went the other way.  I chose to do it because I wanted to prove others that I can and I will.  Well, it was basically a challenge for me.  When I was pregnant with Uel, I prayed hard so I would produce milk after giving birth, I have the fear of having none, because most of my officemates never breastfeed.  Lucky for me, my mother guided me right after I gave birth.  When he was roomed - in, I had the first drop of milk.  My mother would literally climb up my bed to assist me and my son.  My husband was so frustrated because he thinks that my son was tortured.  In-laws never really match, believe me.  I can barely move that time because after 16 hours of labor I gave birth via Ceasarian Section. I was never hospitalized so just imagine what I have gone through in this experience.  When I did not have enough milk yet, he was given formula at the hospital. When we got home, I decided that I should exclusively breastfeed my son, (I am the mother so I will decide) so I asked my husband to throw away the formula left over.  I was successful.  I never left my son's side so I am available when he needs me.
When I went back to work after 3 months on leave (maternity and extra vacation leaves),  I brought with me my feeding bottles, breast pump, and cooler with ice.  Everybody was so amazed at what I was doing every 3 hours....expressing my milk.  Some were laughing at me, and I ignored them.  I am not doing it for anybody else but my loved ones.  My son has available stored milk all the time.  My father in law had to buy his own refrigerator because there is no space left for his beers inside the ref.  When he was nine months old, I went out of town on a conference, some would think how can I store the milk for 3 long days.  That was easy.  I made use of the coolers and freezers of the hotel.  The hotel crew was supportive. 2 weeks later, I went to a team building activity in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental (southern part of the Philippines).  I already got the support of my officemates so I am excused every time I need to express milk, or whenever I need to took for ice while on tour.  Again, the resort's kitchen was so useful.  I made use of their freezers.  Good thing it wasn't mistaken for cow's milk or ice drop.
When I gave birth to Halo (my second), perhaps I knew better.  I had more milk.  During that time, I was tempted to buy a freezer exclusively for breast milk, because our refrigerator had no more space.  I left the milk I expressed in the office freezer and I bring them home on Fridays.  I was able to travel to Palawan 3x (once in Coron and 2x in Puerto Princesa), I also went to Baguio when he was 2 months old. Wait till I tell you this.  I was able to travel to Hongkong for 4 days and he was fed on pure breast milk.  Actually I can leave the house for more than 2 weeks, without buying any formula.


Feeding my twins on pure breast milk has been a big challenge for me.  When I was still on maternity leave, they were exclusively feeding from me.  But when I got back to work, it was hard.  I had to produce for two.  I was always told by elders that it is impossible for me not to buy formula.  I believed them.  They are 10 months old now, I gave up working and unfortunately I cannot exclusively breastfeed them.  Maybe because I believed what others have said, "I cannot do it!"  They were successful, my mindset was different this time.  I cannot even leave the house for 12 hours straight, I worry.  I came to realize it is how the mother thinks.
Breastfeeding is rewarding and at the same time, I had learned so many lessons.  I am fulfilled because I know my children are healthy, and I am happy because I inspired others to do the same.  Believe me when I gave birth to my first son, it was only me who was breastfeeding in our office, but when I gave birth to my second, there were seven of us who did.  Some even made it longer than I did.  My longest was 1 year and a half, others did it for 2 years.
Wait for next post.....I will be telling more about breastfeeding.  How I did it, what helped me.  The advantages and benefits of breastfeeding, my rewards and experiences as a mom and  more.......... 
Stay fulfilled and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment